Remember my obsessions with hard boiled eggs? Well, they are just simply so versatile, and a quick and easy recipe like this one is going to transform them into mouthwatering dish. Having them around has saved me unnecessary worries about what to eat for my next meal, LOL :) This recipe is kid friendly too with the use of ketchup and coconut milk, you can totally omit the chili to make this completely child proof. If you like spicy food though, feel free to add as many chilies as you like.
Sambal Telur - Egg Sambal
5.0 from 1 reviews
Categories: Side Dish
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 5 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 8 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 100 ml coconut milk
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa), or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 100 gram shallot (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 2 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 1-5 red bird eye chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit merah) (optional)
- Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté spice paste until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, stir will, and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add eggs, mix well, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, mix well, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add lime juice, palm sugar, and salt. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Adjust salt and sugar as needed.
- Turn off heat, transfer to a serving plate, and serve with steamed white rice.