Always a crowd favorite and goes with any fried or grilled dishes, Indonesian sambal tomat kecap (tomato chili relish) is quick, easy, and vegan friendly.
Indonesia is home to hundreds of chili sauce and relish. The easiest one to make at home is probably this sambal tomat kecap - Indonesian tomato chili relish. This sambal is a favorite accompaniment for fried/grilled chicken, fish, tofu, and tempe dishes. Also, unlike many Indonesian sambal with terasi (shrimp paste) in it, sambal tomat kecap is totally vegan friendly.
Kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
You will need tomato, shallot, chili, lime, and of course kecap manis. You can buy kecap manis from online (e.g. Amazon), but if your neighborhood Asian market has them, it will most likely be much cheaper. If you must make a long trip to Asian market, be sure to stock up since they can last for a while.
Let's make some sambal
Once you gather all the ingredients, all you need to do is some chopping, pouring, and squeezing. Dice tomato, slice the chili and shallot, and place them in a bowl. Next, cut and squeeze one lime into the tomato mixture. Finally, pour the kecap manis. Just mix everything together and your sambal tomat kecap is done.
Sambal Tomat Kecap - Indonesian Tomato Chili Relish
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced (*)
- 1-2 jalapeno, thinly sliced (**)
- 6 tablespoon kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- juice of 1 lime
- Mix all the ingredients together to prepare the relish. Serve immediately.
- Store in the fridge if there is any extra/leftover.
- (*) If using the smaller Indonesian shallots, you need about 3.
- (**) For extra heat, use green Thai bird eye chilies, or a mixture of jalapeno and Thai bird eye chilies.