How to bake Chinese bakery style sausage bread with my easy recipe, with detailed step-by-step guide to create the braid shape for the sausage bread.
Sausage bread is one of the more typical Chinese bakery bread, and they come in many different kinds of shapes, but I am going to use shape them in braid form. I use the same bread dough recipe like the one for my ham and mayonnaise bread rolls, and I can vouch that this dough is good for not only savory filling but also for sweet filling bread. I use beef sausages for this, but you can easily swap with chicken, pork, turkey, or other kinds of your favorite sausages.
How to Shape Sausage Bread into Braid Form
Once your bread dough is finished proofing for the first time, it is time to shape the bread. Here is how to shape it into braid form:
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
- Take one portion of dough and flatten into an oval with the long side about the same length as the sausage.
- Place the sausage at the center of the dough, and make 5 cuts each side with a knife. You should have 6 strips of dough at each side of the sausage.
- Braid the strips to enclose the sausage. Repeat for the other 11 portions.
You can also refer to the photos for visual guidance. Once you have properly assembled all the bread, arrange them on a half-sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Cover and let these proof for the second time until puffy and the volume is almost doubled.
Egg Wash, Sesame Seeds Sprinkles, and Baking
When the bread rolls are closed to finish their second proofing, it is time to preheat oven to 200 Celsius or 400 Fahrenheit. Be sure to do the following steps right before baking the bread:
- Combining one egg with one teaspoon of water to make an egg wash, then brush the dough surface with a generous amount of egg wash.
- I use black sesame seeds to sprinkle each bread, you can use regular sesame seeds too. If you don’t have any sesame seeds, feel free to skip this setp.
Once the oven reaches the desired temperature, bake in middle rack for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. The bread is super delicious if consumed straight out from the oven. But they should stay fresh for up to 3 days. I like to reheat my bread slightly in microwave since in my opinion warm bread tastes to much better than cold or even room temperature bread.
Originally published on March 14, 2017. Updated on May 22, 2019 with new photos.
4.7 from 6 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 3 hours 20 mins
Serves: 12 bread
- Bread dough
- 150 ml (10 tablespoon) warm milk (38 Celsius or 100 Fahrenheit)
- 5 gram active dry yeast
- 5 gram sugar
- 300 gram all-purpose flour
- 10 gram sugar
- 4 gram salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- Other ingredients
- 12 hot dog sausages
- egg wash (mix together 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water)
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds, sprinkles (optional)
- Mix together warm milk, active dry yeast, and 5 gram sugar. Let rest for 20 minutes until foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, 10 gram sugar, and salt. Make a well, then pour the foamy yeast solution, egg, and butter. Knead into a smooth, soft, elastic, and non-sticky dough. If the dough is too sticky, you may add 1-2 tablespoon of all purpose flour. Kneading time is 20 minutes.
- Place the dough in the bowl, wrap with wet kitchen towel or saran wrap. Let it proof until the volume is doubled, about 1 hour in warm kitchen.
- Punch the dough to release air bubbles, knead for a couple of minutes. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
- Flatten each dough into an oval and make the long axis the same length as the sausage. Place one sausage at the center of dough, make 5 cuts to the dough at each side of the sausage, and make braid with the cuts to wrap the sausage with the dough. Place this on a baking tray (I use a half-sheet pan) lined with parchment paper. Repeat for the other 11 portion.
- Let the bread rolls rest for another 1 hour until the volume is about 150% original size.
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius (400 Fahrenheit).
- Mix together 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of water for egg wash. Brush the top of the bread with egg wash, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until the bread is golden brown.
- Best served warm when out from the oven. The bread should be fresh for up to 3 days.