How to create silky smooth Chinese savory steamed egg custard with only eggs, stock, and salt. With topping ideas to go with the steamed egg custard.
Eggs, stock (or water), and salt are the three ingredients to prepare this classic Chinese savory steamed egg custard. Don’t let the simple ingredients fool you, for this steamed egg custard is universally loved by all Chinese and is one of our comfort food. Like most simple dishes, the hard part is to get it to perfection. The ultimate goal is to create a perfectly silky smooth egg custard, free of any lumps, and porcelain smooth top. My recipe is going to detail how to achieve this.
Some toppings idea to go with the steamed egg custard
This dish is one that I grow up eating all the time. Since my grandmother days, she served it plainly with some drizzle of soy sauce, sesame oil, and thin slivers of scallions. I thought that’s how everyone eat their steamed custard, but it seems you can pair it with almost anything. I’ve seen this egg custard topped with pork floss, or roughly chopped century egg, and even some meat sauce. As long as you get the steamed egg custard part right, the toppings are up to you. Needless to say, the soy sauce, sesame sauce, and scallions combo is definitely my favorite.
Chinese Savory Steamed Egg Custard
5.0 from 5 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
- Egg custard
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml stock (or water)
- 1 teaspoon salt (omit if the stock is salty)
- Serve with
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 scallion, thinly sliced
- Some other topping ideas
- pork floss
- roughly chopped century egg
- Chinese meat sauce
- Prepare a steamer over medium heat.
- Whisk together egg, stock (or water), and salt. Strain this mixture into a bowl, and cover with aluminum foil. Steam for 20 minutes.
- Serve the egg custard piping hot with sesame oil, soy sauce, and thinly sliced scallion.