Sayur godog is a festive food and is mostly served during Lebaran (Eid al-Fitr). I know we are fast approaching Christmas and sayur godog is not exactly common on a Christmas table. But if you are Indonesian, you may prefer to prepare some lontong or ketupat and cook up a big batch of sayur godog to eat during this festive season anyway. Right? ♥
Sayur Godog Betawi - Betawi Vegetables in Coconut Milk
5.0 from 1 reviews
Categories: Side Dish
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 4 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas), peeled and bruised
- 2 red chilies (Inodnesian: cabe merah besar), sliced diagonally
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 2 liter coconut milk (Indonesian: santan)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 150 gram snake bean (Indonesian: kacang panjang), cut into 2 inch lengths
- 150 gram carrot (Indonesian: wortel), cut into 2 inch matchsticks
- 1 chayote (Indonesian: labu siam), peeled and cut into 2 inch matchsticks
- 1/2 cabbage head (Indonesian: kol), cut into 2 inch sections (*)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 10 red chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- 10 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), peeled
- 5 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), peeled
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe), peeled
- 1 inch turmeric (Indonesian: kunyit), peeled
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimps (Indonesian: ebi), washed, drained and toasted
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds (Indonesian: biji ketumbar)
- Heat oil in a soup pot and sauté spice paste, lemongrass, bay leaves, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, chilies, and tomato until fragrant and the spice turns a darker shade of red. About 5 minutes.
- Pour coconut milk into the pot and bring to a boil. Season with salt and palm sugar.
- Add snake bean, carrot, chayote, and cabbage into the pot. Once it boils again, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes until all the vegetables are cooked through and tender, but still crispy. Adjust salt and sugar as needed.
- Turn off heat. Sayur godog is best served with lontong/ketupat (Indonesian steamed rice cake), but can also be served with steamed white rice.
- (*) Beef shanks or peeled shrimps are also pretty common in sayur godog. You can add 250 gram of either beef/shrimps and use just 1/4 cabbage head. When beef is used, the beef has to be cooked first in coconut milk until tender before adding the vegetables. If you are using shrimps instead, add them at the last 2 minutes of the cooking.