Indonesian semur ayam is a delicious way to prepare bone-in chicken pieces and potatoes in a blend of spices, nutmeg, and kecap manis (sweet soy sauce).
Semur ayam is a chicken and potato dish stewed in spices, nutmeg, and kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce). The taste is very bold, the chicken and potatoes tender and succulent, and you will want to mop up all the sauce with a big bowl of steamed white rice. This delicious dish is very easy to prepare and you will want to put this in your meal rotation! ♥
What you need to prepare Indonesian semur ayam
Most Indonesians will prefer to use bone-in chicken pieces to prepare semur ayam, but boneless skinless meat can also be used for a fuss-free experience. Aside from chicken, you will need the following to prepare Indonesian semur ayam:
- lemongrass, bruised and knotted, or cut one into 2
- kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- ground nutmeg
How to cook Indonesian semur ayam
Cooking semur ayam is very easy and straightforward, consisting of only two steps:
- Heat oil in a pot and fry spice paste (ground shallot, garlic, and ginger) and lemongrass until fragrant, then add chicken pieces and stir until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add potatoes, water, kecap manis, salt, sugar, nutmeg, and pepper to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until both the chicken pieces and potatoes are tender.
That’s it! And you can serve them as is, or with some sprinkling of deep fried shallot flakes (a.k.a. Indonesian bawang goreng). Serve semur ayam with some steamed white rice for a satisfying meal.
Semur Ayam - Chicken in Nutmeg and Sweet Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 800 gram chicken (about 8 pieces)
- 300 gram potato (about 3 potatoes), peeled and cut into 8 wedges per potato
- 1 liter water
- 100 ml sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (Indonesian: bubuk pala)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper (Indonesian: merica)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 5 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 5 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- deep fried shallot flakes (Indonesian: bawang merah goreng)
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté spice paste and lemongrass until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and stir until well coated with the spice and no longer pink.
- Add potatoes, water, sweet soy sauce, salt, sugar, nutmeg, and white pepper into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken and potatoes are cooked and tender, about 30 minutes. Adjust with salt and sugar as needed.
- Turn off heat. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with with shallot flakes and served immediately with steamed white rice.