This is a really simple shrimp salad, as long as you have some fresh shrimps and the ingredients to make the dressing, you are 80% there. As for the “filler”, any vegetables or fruits can be used, I use cucumbers and tomatoes just to show that even really simple vegetables can work. Fancier stuff like rockets, mesclun, and endives can be used, though a bit non Asian, but great for when you are opting for a more fusion salad. Or, you can also use fruits too, like pomelo, apple, and pear. Shrimp and fruits goes really well together. ♥
As for the dressing, a bit of warning that the chilies will make this a somewhat spicy and hot dressing. Of course this level of spiciness is nothing to most South East Asian palette, since we gobble up chili sauce like it is tomato ketchup or something. ;) If you are not used to spicy salad dressing, use only 1 chili, or remove all the seeds so you get a much milder dressing.
Shrimp Salad with Tangy Peanut Dressing
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
- 100 gram peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 cucumbers, cut into matchsticks (*)
- 1 tomato, cut into small pieces
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- Peanut dressing
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 4 tablespoon water
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 red cayenne chilies (Indonesian: cabe keriting merah), thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), minced
- 2 tablespoon peanut, toasted and roughly chopped
- Prepare a steamer and stem the shrimps until pink, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Arrange cucumbers, tomatoes, and shrimps in a plate. Sprinkle with shallot and coriander leaves. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, mix together fish sauce, honey, water, and lime juice until thoroughly mixed. Add chilies, garlic, and toasted peanut. Stir.
- Right before serving, pour the dressing to the shrimp salad and gently toss to mix it up.
- (*) To ensure that cucumber stays crunchy, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt, toss, and let rest for 15 minutes, then gently squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Not exactly necessary if the salad is to be served straight away.