Spicy lemongrass roast chicken. These roast chicken are very flavorful, and cooked in a cast-iron skillet from stove top to oven. Super easy and you will want to make them again and again and again.
What's in the marinade?
Let me start listing the ingredients for the marinating sauce. You need chilies (I use 2 bird eyes, you can use any red chilies of your choice), garlic, shallot (or onion), lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaves (or lime zest).
You will also need oil, sugar, fish sauce, and oyster sauce.
Simply blitz away everything in a food processor, then mix this with skin-on bone-in chicken thighs.
The minimum marinating time is 2 hours, but if you have the time, please leave it overnight for maximum flavors.
Oven proof skillet or pan
You will need a skillet or pan that can move from stove top to oven, and I highly prefer using a cast-iron skillet for job like this.
It is best if you can choose a pan that the chicken can fit quite comfortably, not too snug, and not too loose. A 10.25" cast-iron pan is the best size for 4 chicken thighs.
Sear first, then into the oven
Cooking these chicken cannot be easier. Start by preheating your oven to 350 Fahrenheit (180 Celsius).
Once the oven is hot, heat 2 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat in a cast-iron skillet and place the chicken thighs skin-side down and sear for 5 minutes.
Turn off the stove, flip the chicken, then add all the remaining marinating sauce.
Bake (roast) in oven for 25 minutes, or just until the chicken is cooked.
Serving the roast chicken
Remove roast chicken from oven, tilt the pan so you can spoon sauce over the chicken.
Transfer to serving plate, garnish with thinly sliced scallions (and more chilies if you want).
I usually serve these roast chicken with steamed white rice.
Spicy Lemongrass Roast Chicken
- 4 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs
- Marinating sauce
- 1 shallot (~ 50 gram)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lemongrass
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, remove ribs (or zest of 1 lime)
- 1-3 red bird eye chilies (or any red chilies)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil/canola oil
- Garnish (optional)
- thinly sliced scallions
- thinly sliced red chilies
- Place all marinating sauce ingredients in a food processor and puree into a paste, then transfer to a mixing bow and add chicken thighs. Mix really well, and let rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit).
- Heat a 10.25" cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoon oil (vegetable/canola) and swirl it around, then add chicken thigh skin-side down, reserving the marinade. Cook undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, flip the chicken, then add reserved marinade to the skillet. Transfer to the preheated oven and roast for 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove skillet from oven, tip it to spoon the sauce from the bottom of the skillet, then pour sauce over chicken.
- Transfer to serving plates, garnish with scallions and/or red chilies. Serve with steamed white rice.