My Mom makes the best steamed fish and I finally got her recipe, yay! And she gave me the fish to boot, isn’t she the best? ♥ Mom actually gave me twice the amount of fish that I use in the recipe, but I have a super duper tiny steamer (namely I steam dishes with the steamer basket that came with my rice cooker), I had to make just half of what she gave me. Feel free to double the recipe if you are using a normal size steamer, you lucky you :D
Steamed Fish with Shiitake
- 1 dried shiitake
- 250 gram firm white fish fillet, such as red snaper (Indonesian: kakap merah), or grouper (Indonesian: kerapu)
- 1 lemongrass, bruised and chopped
- 2 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 tomato, cut into thin pieces
- 2 red chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting), slice diagonally
- 1/2 tomato, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 scallion, cut into 2 inch ribbons
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (Chinese: Shao Xing Hua Tiao Jiu)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Soak the dried shiitake in hot water for 1 hour until soft and spongy. Remove stem and cut into thin slices. Reserve 3 tablespoon of the soaking liquid.
- Place the fish on a steam proof bowl. Pour the sauce on the fish. Top with shallot, ginger, thin pieces of tomatoes, and red chilies.
- Surround the base of the fish with shiitake slices, lemongrass, bay leaves, and kaffir lime leaves.
- Set aside the fish to marinate for 30 minutes. Add the 3 tablespoon mushroom soaking liquid.
- Prepare a steamer. Steam the fish for 10 minutes. Open the lid, add tomato wedges and scallion ribbons. Close the lid and steam for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the steamer and serve immediately with steamed white rice.