Steamed ginger egg custard is a very traditional Chinese dessert using only 4 ingredients and cooked in a steamer.
There are desserts that I make because there is always room for dessert. :) But there are some I make because it reminds me of my childhood, like this steamed ginger egg custard. These are super easy to make, and they are supposed to be good for you too! So totally no guilty feeling even if you prepare them often. :)
Ginger, Egg, Milk, and Sugar
Yup, those are the only 4 ingredients you need to make this dessert. And the hardest thing you need to do is to grate the fresh ginger and squeeze out the juice, which shouldn’t take any longer than 5 minutes. If you want it to be even easier, just use a food processor/blender, and you will probably only need 1 minute!
You can use any sort of bowls/ramekins to steam the custard, just make sure they are made of material that is steam proof. Aside from standard ramekins, you can use ceramic/stoneware bowls. I have also tried using Pyrex custard bowls, and tiny bowls from Corelle. Since you serve these steamed ginger egg custard straight out from the bowl, it is nice to use pretty looking ones.
Steamed Ginger Egg Custard
5.0 from 3 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
- 2 tablespoon ginger juice (from ~ 2 inch fresh ginger)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Grate fresh ginger and squeeze the grated ginger to get ginger juice.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add in ginger juice to the mixture, and whisk again.
- Strain into bowls/ramekins, and cover each bowl/ramekin with aluminum foil.
- Prepare a steamer over medium heat. Steam the custard mixture until firm and fully cooked. About 20-25 minutes, but the steaming time depends on the bowl/ramekin you are using, so please check starting at around 15 minutes.