Definitely one of the easiest and fastest prawn recipe, not to mention they look lovely and fit for a banquet. If you don’t own a microwave, you can make the garlic oil on a stove top by first heating the oil in a frying pan, and then stir fry minced garlic until they turn golden brown. If you do own a microwave, then this will be a pretty mess free recipe to make. ♥
Steamed Prawn with Chili and Garlic
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
- 12 medium size prawns
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (Chinese: Shao Xing Hua Tiao Jiu)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon fish sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoon peanut/soybean/canola oil
- 1 stalk scallion, cut into 2 inch ribbons
- 1 red chili, remove seeds and cut into 2 inch ribbons
- Chop away the eyes part of the prawns, partially cut the back of the prawns and devein, leaving the prawns still in their shell. Wash, pat dry, and place in a steam proof bowl.
- Add Shaoxing wine, water, sesame oil, salt, ground pepper, and fish oil into the bowl.
- Steam for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together garlic and peanut/soybean/canola oil in a microwave proof bowl. Cook in the microwave with 450 Watt power for 3-4 minutes, or until the garlic has turned golden brown. Remove from microwave and set aside.
- When the prawns are cooked, remove from the steamer, scatter scallion and chili ribbons, and pour the garlic oil on top of the prawns. Serve immediately.