Quick and easy 10 minutes Chinese steamed tofu with garlic, scallion, and soy sauce that is vegan friendly and gluten-free, and prepared in a microwave.
This easy steamed tofu is my go-to recipe when I am in a hurry to prepare a quick dish for lunch/dinner. It only needs very basic ingredients, like garlic, scallions, and two kinds of soy sauce. Plus, I can make this in a microwave, which is perfect for days when I am too lazy to deal with the kitchen stove. The biggest bonus point for me though is that this steamed tofu is so easy and so fast to prepare, everyone in my family love it, and it’s also gluten-free and vegan-friendly!
What other toppings can I use for the steamed tofu?
What I love with this recipe is how versatile it can be. Here, I use thinly sliced scallions, scallion ribbons, and a couple of cilantro sprigs as toppings. But these are not the only toppings you can use. I have made this countless time with different kind of toppings. Some of my favorite include:
- thinly sliced bell peppers
- thinly sliced Chinese celery
- katsuobushi (Japanese shaved bonito flakes)
- toasted sesame seeds
- century egg
- pork floss
So go wild, experiment, and have fun.
5.0 from 11 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 10 mins
- 1 block silken tofu (about 340 gram)
- 1 scallion, chop the green part into 2 inch ribbons and thinly slice the white part
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- Prepare a steamer, place the tofu in a steam proof plate and steam for 5 minutes. Drain the liquid from the plate that collects during steaming.
- In a microwave proof bowl, combine garlic and canola oil. Heat in 450 Watt for 3 minutes, or until the garlic turns golden brown. Remove from microwave, add light soy sauce and sweet soy sauce and mix well.
- Arrange scallion on top of the tofu and drizzle the garlic sauce onto it. Serve immediately.