This tasty soup is the result of two cuisines, Indonesian with heavy influence from the Chinese that has settled in Java for hundreds of years. I could not find the definite recipe for this soup, since everyone seems to put different stuffs into the soup. But from my limited research, the recipe in this post is the most common ingredients to be found from so many different recipes. That said, I shall proceed to let you know what other ingredients people put in the soup in case you want to be more adventurous: shrimps, cabbage, tomatoes, beef balls (Indonesian: bakso sapi), and sweet peas (Indonesian: kapri). ♥
Sup Kimlo Solo - Solo Style Kimlo Soup
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- 300 gram chicken breast
- 1 1/2 liter water
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 150 gram fish balls, make a criss cross cut to each fish ball
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into the shape of flower petals
- 100 gram fresh wood ear fungus (Indonesian: jamur kuping), thinly sliced
- 15 gram dried tuberose flower (Indonesian: bunga sedap malam), knotted and soaked in cold water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 50 gram glass noodles (Indonesian: sohun), soaked in cold water
- 2 scallions (Indonesian: daun bawang), thinly sliced
- 2 celery leaves (Indonesian: daun seledri), thinly sliced
- Boil chicken breast and the water in a soup pot until chicken is fully cooked. Remove the chicken breast from the pot and tear the meat. Set aside the pot with the chicken stock.
- In a frying pan, heat cooking oil and fry the shallot and garlic until fragrant. Add chicken, fish balls, carrots, wood ear fungus, dried tuberose flower, sweet soy sauce, salt, and ground pepper. Mix well and stir fry for about 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer the stir fried ingredients into the pot with the chicken stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the vegetable is tender and the fish balls are fully cooked.
- Add the glass noodles and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat and serve with chopped scallions and celery leaves.