Daily Cooking Quest

easy Indonesian recipes

Susu Edamame - Edamame Milk

I love soy bean milk, and this edamame milk has a really similar taste to that, which is not surprising giving that when matures, edamame turns into soy bean, right? I like how easy this recipe is, and since I am making it from scratch, it is 100% natural without any hidden preservatives. ♥

Susu Edamame - Edamame Milk

Susu Edamame - Edamame Milk

This recipe is from a brochure promoting edamame. There were a couple of really nice sales people giving free edamame milk and kindly explain how to make the milk, and then I was handed a brochure with the said recipe. So… since the edamame was also being heavily discounted due to the promotion, I thought why not. ;) And yes, it is super easy if a tad tedious opening all those pods, but I am proud with the result, exactly the same as the one I tried in the store.

Susu Edamame - Edamame Milk

Ingredients

• 200 gram edamame, minus the pods
  • 8 cups (2 liter) water
  • 2 pandan leaves, knotted
  • 8 tablespoon sugar, or to taste

Instructions

1. Soak edamame in plenty of water for 6 hours, or overnight.
  2. Drain, then transfer the edamame in a blender. Top with 4 cups of water and process until smooth. Line a strainer/colander with muslin cloth (or a thin kitchen towel), pour the processed edamame through the strainer/colander, squeeze to get every last drop of the liquid.
  3. Return the edamame pulp back to the blender, top with another 4 cups of water, and repeat the process (step 2) one more time.
  4. Bring the edamame liquid and pandan leaves to a boil on low to medium heat. Once it boils, let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
  5. Turn off heat, then add the sugar and stir until the sugar has fully dissolved. Serve immediately, or chilled in the fridge.

Comments

• Chris says:

Hi Anita A creative way of having edamame! And very healthy too! Will b hunting for edamame soon. Thanks for sharing!

• Natalye says:

Heeey, Have you thought about making tofu edamame?

• Anita says:

Hmmm, you mean like making a tofu out of edamame? No, I haven't thought of that. I am too lazy to make my own tofu since I am quite happy with the ready made tofu out there ;) But do share if you have a great tofu recipe, Natalye.

• emily says:

is the 200 g weight before the beans are shelled? or after? Thanks!

• Anita says:

Hi Emily, the 200 gram is the weight of the beans only. Sorry for the confusion.

• uni says:

Thanks anita. I've tried the recipe. I add vanilla for the flavor instead of panda leaf. It tastes good.

• Anita says:

Glad you like it Uni :)

• uni says:

I'm thinking about red bean. Could we make it a drink like edamme milk?

• Stephanie Reinicke says:

Hi Anita, what a great recipe! As Pandan eaves are not easy to get here, do you think i could just leave this part out? Is it essential for the taste? xoxo Stephanie

• Anita says:

Hi Stephanie, you can use vanilla too if you don't have pandan, maybe 1 teaspoon. Or, just leave it plain is okay too.

• nayu says:

Edamame nya dikupas dalam keadaan mentah kah? Lumayan lama ya. Apalagi dari 500 gr edamame utuh hanya dapat sekitar 200an gr edamame kupas. Adakah cara mudah untuk mengupas edamame?

• Anita says:

Hi Nayu. Iya, lumayan susah ya dikupas edamamenya. Untuk membantu, bisa rebus air satu pot besar. Setelah mendidih, masukkan edamame mentah yang belum dikupas dan rebus 3 menit saja. Setelah itu cepat-cepat tiriskan dan rendam edamame dalam baskom yang berisi es batu yang banyak. Setelah cukup dingin suhunya, baru dikupas. Setelah terkupas, baru diikuti lagi yah ke tahap-tahap berikutnya :)