Susu jagung, or corn milk, is something that has only been popular in recent years. I guess it is not exactly a ground breaking invention when the world is used to corn chowder and corn soup, corn milk is almost like that, except its sweet, and its a drink.
To be honest, when I first see this, my first thought was ewww, really? Then I gave it a try, hmm, not bad. And sometimes later, another try, hmm, still not bad, getting better actually. In a sense, kinda like soy milk. The idea may be foreign at first, but once you get used to it, it just grows on you somehow. So give it a try next time you have extra corn laying around and not sure what to do with it, you may end up with a new favorite drink. Oh, and it is supposed to be healthy and good for you, if you need a bit of an extra push. ;)
Susu Jagung - Corn Milk
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
- 200 gram corn ears (Indonesian: pipil jagung)
- 6 cups fresh milk (Indonesian: susu segar)
- 1 cinnamon stick (Indonesian: kayu manis)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 150-200 gram sugar, or to taste
- In a blender, process together corn and milk until smooth. Do this in batches if necessary.
- Strain the pureed corn and milk through a sieve into a soup pot to get a smooth milk.
- Add cinnamon stick and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolve, adjust the sweetness according to your taste.
- Discard the cinnamon stick, and transfer into a pitcher, or serving glasses. Serve warm.