Everyone loves sweet and sour chicken, especially children. In Indonesia, this dish is called ayam kuluyuk, or ayam asam manis. You can actually make a sweet and sour chicken without the bell pepper and pineapple, since the sauce contributes the most to the taste of this dish, but I really love seeing vegetables, fruits, and meats all in one dish. Recently, I went to a Chinese restaurant here that use fresh strawberries instead of pineapples, it looks so lovely and the taste is surprisingly good. So, if you live in a place where strawberries are plentiful and much easier to get instead of a pineapple, I highly recommend using those.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
4.5 from 2 reviews
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
- 350 gram skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 2 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), minced
- 1 green bell pepper (Indonesian: paprika hijau), cut into 1 inch squares, about 150 gram
- 1 small pineapple (Indonesian: nenas), cut into bite size pieces, about 150 gram
- 2 scallions (Indonesian: daun bawang), cut into 2 inch lengths
- 4 tablespoon all purpose flour (Indonesian: tepung terigu)
- 4 tablespoon corn starch (Indonesian: tepung maizena)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (Indonesian: soda kue)
- 1/2 cup water
- Sweet and sour sauce
- 3 tablespoon tomato sauce (Indonesian: saus tomat)
- 3 tablespoon chili sauce (Indonesian: saus cabe botolan)
- 3 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon plum sauce (Indonesian: saus plum)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Indonesian: kecap Inggris)
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar (Indonesian: cuka beras)
- 1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce (Indonesian: saus tiram)
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch (Indonesian: tepung maizena)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper (Indonesian: bubuk lada putih)
- Marinate chicken breast cubes with Shaoxing wine for 10 minutes.
- Mix batter ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix all sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare enough hot oil for deep frying. Add chicken cubes into the batter, then deep fry until golden brown, set aside on a wire rack or paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a wok/frying pan. Sauté garlic until fragrant, then add green bell pepper and pineapple and stir fry until fragrant.
- Pour the sweet and sour sauce into the pan, stir to mix well, and bring to a boil. Return the fried chicken along with chopped scallions into the pan, toss gently so the sauce fully coats all the chicken pieces. Turn off heat, transfer to a serving plate, and serve immediately.