I love tofu, can’t get enough of them. I made tofu dishes multiple times in a week, be it steamed, braised, in my soup, and most certainly in deep fried dishes like this. I was actually planning to make tahu goreng bacem, but seeing that I still have a big bunch of leftover chives from my noodle fest for New Year, I ended up using the chives in the batter to deep fry the tofu. If you don’t have chives, you can try using scallions too. ♥
This fried tofu can be enjoyed as a side dish accompanied with a bowl of steamed white rice. Or, they are also great as tea time snack. Another thing about Indonesian is that we love our savory snacks as much as our sweet ones, from gado-gado, siomay Bandung, to tempeh mendoan and deep fried tofu such as this, we just love them all.
Tahu Goreng Kucai - Fried Tofu in Chives Batter
- 2 blocks of firm tofu (Indonesian: tahu putih), about 600 gram
- 150 gram all purpose flour (Indonesian: tepung terigu)
- 1 tablespoon rice flour (Indonesian: tepung beras)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 300 ml coconut milk (Indonesian: santan)
- oil for deep frying
- 1 egg
- 40 gram chives (Indonesian: kucai), thinly sliced
- chili sauce
- Thai chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit)
- Drained and cut the tofu into small pieces, I cut each block of tofu into 16 small triangles. Make sure the tofu are dried to avoid splattering when deep frying :)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk/stir together all purpose flour, rice flour, salt, sugar, ground white pepper, coconut milk, and egg to make the batter, make sure to remove the flour lumps as much as you can. Then add the chives into the batter and mix well.
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan/wok for deep frying. Once the oil is hot enough (if a drop of batter bubbles vigorously the moment it touches the oil, it is ready), coat the tofu pieces with the batter and deep fry until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the hot oil and drain on wire rack/paper towl (wire rack is always better).
- Serve immediately with some chili sauce or Thai chilies.