Summer time is the perfect occasion to indulge in refreshing salad, especially when it is hefty enough to be enjoyed as a meal. I think there is no finer lunch to be had in the hot weather when every bite is fresh, tangy, nutty, sweet, and sour all in one.
I am going to suggest the typical ingredients to make this salad, which include deep fried tofu (this is a must), bakwan (fritters) of your choice, shredded lettuce leaves, tomato and cucumber cubes. Other than the tofu, feel free to use any vegetable and even meat of your choice, then combine with the tofu, and dress the salad with the peanut sauce.
Tahu Goreng Medan - Medan Fried Tofu Salad with Peanut Sauce
- 200 gram firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes, deep fried until golden brown
- 400 gram lettuce leaves, shredded
- 400 gram cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 400 gram tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 400 gram bakwan (fritters), cut into 1 inch cubes
- Peanut dressing
- 100 gram peanut, fried or roasted
- 50 gram palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 50 gram Chinese celery (Indonesian: daun seledri) (*)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 red cayenne pepper (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting) (**)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500 ml water
- 120 ml sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- juice of 5 limes
- Divide the salad ingredients into 6 salad plates/bowls.
- To make the dressing, grind peanut, palm sugar, Chinese celery, garlic, cayenne pepper, and salt in a food processor. Transfer to a mixing bowl, add the rest of the dressing ingredients, and mix well. Divide into six portions.
- Serve the salad together with the peanut sauce dressing.
- (*) Use regular celery if you cannot find Chinese celery, try to use as much of the leaves as possible.
- (**) Use bird eye chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit) for a spicier dressing.