Kudus is located in Central Java and is the birthplace of some of the popular dishes in Indonesia, such as soto kudus, nasi pindang, and tahu kecap. The main ingredients for tahu kecap are tofu and kecap (sweet soy sauce), and of course one will need the other ingredients to make this a truly delectable tofu dish.
Tahu Kecap Kudus - Fried Tofu in Sweet Soy Sauce
Categories: Side Dish
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 block firm tofu (each ~ 14 oz / 400 gram), drained and let it dry completely
- 4 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 500 ml water
- 3 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 6 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 3 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 3 red chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- 1 inch fresh ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 1 inch fresh galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste (Indonesian: terasi)
- Cut tofu into 1 inch x 1 inch x 2 inch pieces.
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan and fry the tofu until golden brown. Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
- Fry the spice paste and bay leaves until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add water and sweet soy sauce and bring to a boil.
- Return the fried tofu into the pan and cook until the liquid is completely reduced and absorbed by the tofu. Turn off heat and serve with steamed white rice.