Takikomi gohan is a Japanese rice dish cooked with soy sauce, dashi stock, and various ingredients such as mushrooms, vegetables, and meats. This dish is easy to prepare since there is no hard rule on which ingredients to use. For this recipe, I use three kinds of mushroom, shimeji, enoki, and shiitake, along with carrot and konnyaku. You are free to use whatever ingredients you have at hand and have fun trying out different ways to create your favorite takikomi gohan. ♥
Takikomi Gohan - Japanese Mixed Rice
- 2 cups rice
- 800 ml dashi stock (or 800 ml water + 1 tablespoon bonito flavored dashi seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon mirin
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 250 gram mixed mushroom (I use 150 gram shimeji, 50 gram enoki, 50 gram shiitake)
- 100 gram carrot, peeled and cut into thin rounds
- 100 gram konnyaku, cut into thin slices and blanched in boiling water
- Place all ingredients in a rice cooker and cook.
- When the rice cooker turns to “warm”, stir with a spatula, close the rice cooker lid, and keep warm for another 10 minutes before serving.