Tape bakar (pan fried fermented cassava) is the easiest and the most straight forward way to enjoy tape (fermented cassava). Make sure to remove the tough core from each of the tape before mashing them together with butter (or margarine).
After mashing the tape, shape into 1 inch diameter logs and fry on low heat in a frying pan (non stick would be preferable, but I did mine in a regular stainless steel frying pan and it doesn’t stick that badly ♥). Once they are out from the pan, serve immediately with some grated cheddar cheese, sweet condensed milk, and chocolate sprinkles.
Tape Bakar - Cassava with Cheese and Chocolate
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
- 500 gram fermented cassava (Indonesian: tape)
- 2 tablespoon butter (or margarine)
- 100 gram grated cheddar cheese (Indonesian: keju Kraft cheddar)
- 2 tablespoon sweet condensed milk (Indonesian: susu kental manis)
- 2 tablespoon chocolate sprinkles (Indonesian: coklat meses)
- Remove tough core from fermented cassava. Place them in a mixing bowl together with butter. Mash with a fork so the cassava and butter are all mixed together. Divide into 12 portions and shape into 1 inch logs.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan (regular frying pan works too) on low to medium heat and fry the tape logs until evenly golden brown.
- Place all the fried tape logs in a serving plate. Scatter grated cheese, condensed milk, and chocolate sprinkles. Serve immediately.