When I am in a cooking rut, I tend to fall back to easy and quick recipes that get me reliably delicious result time after time. One such recipe is this Thai red curry chicken & cauliflower.
In all honesty, the cauliflower is incidental. It just so happen to be what I have when I cooked this dish. You can pretty much use any vegetables you have. I have tried everything from carrots, potatoes, broccoli, eggplants, pretty much anything you can think of and so far none turns out to be a flop.
Red curry paste and coconut milk
You also need coconut milk.
You can make a pretty decent curry from just curry paste and coconut milk, but I always like to push it a bit more by adding lemongrass, palm sugar, fish sauce, kaffir lime leaves, garlic, and ginger.
Serve with steamed jasmine rice
Personally, I prefer to eat Thai curries with Thai jasmine rice. I think it is just the best pairing. But if all you have is Indian basmati rice, or Japanese shorter grain rice, both should work just as well, though not quite as perfect :)
Thai Red Curry Chicken & Cauliflower
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 lemongrass, bruised and knotted
- 3 tablespoon Thai red curry paste (I usually either use mae ploy, or maesri)
- 500 gram chicken thigh meat, bite sizes
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon palm sugar (or brown sugar, or coconut sugar)
- 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 250 gram cauliflower (or any greens of your choice)
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2-3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2-5 red chilies, seeded (optional)
- a handful of cilantro leaves, roughly chopped (optional)
- Heat oil in a wok/skillet over medium high heat and sauté garlic, ginger, and lemongrass until fragrant. About 2 minutes.
- Add red curry paste and cook for another minute, then add chicken, stir and cook until no longer pink.
- Pour in coconut milk, along with palm sugar and fish sauce. Stir and cook until boiling.
- Once the sauce boils, add cauliflower. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for about 5 minutes, or just until both the chicken and cauliflower are cooked through.
- Taste test, and add more salt and/or sugar is needed.
- Turn off heat, stir in kaffir lime leaves, scallions, red chilies, and cilantro leaves. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with steamed Thai jasmine rice.