This is an impressively elegant soup that will not be out of place in a fancy party, yet super easy and really fast to prepare. Sure it can get a bit pricey with the salmon, but you can always use other fish of your choice, or even shrimps! ;)
Thai Salmon Soup with Lemongrass and Galangal
- 2 cups water
- 4 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), peeled and minced
- 2 dried red chilies (Indonesian: cabe kering), crushed
- 1 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 2 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas), peeled and bruised
- 8 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk), tear each in halves
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 1 teaspoon toasted shrimp paste (Indonesian: terasi bakar)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 500 gram salmon fillet, remove skin and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (Indonesian: daun ketumbar)
- Place water, shallot, garlic, chili, lemongrass, galangal, lime leaf, palm sugar, shrimp paste, and salt in a soup pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add salmon into the soup and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat, adjust salt and sugar as needed. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.