Happy New Year 2018! I hope everyone has a fun and memorable celebration with family and friends, and hopefully a much much warmer weather than the one I am experiencing right now in Minnesota. Once upon a time in my twenties I spent years living in Indiana and upstate New York, and I thought I should be used to the cold by now, but Minnesota winter is something else. I have two cousins in Canada and I can only imagine the suffering they must be going through each winter :D Okay, enough with the cold weather talk! Let me share with you this super easy and delicious recipe for Thai yellow curry garbanzo.
Let's talk ingredients
This recipe is super simple, and once you gather the necessary ingredients, this is going to be a quick dish. I was trying really hard not to step out from my home if at all possible, so rummaging through my pantry, I find I should be able to make some delicious dish with what I have at hand. You will need garbanzo (2 cans), Thai yellow curry paste (2 tbsp), coconut milk (1 can), fish sauce (1 tbsp), soy sauce (1 tbsp), brown sugar (2 tbsp). And as for fresh ingredients, you need 1 onion, 2 tomatoes, 5 kaffir lime leaves, and a handful of cilantro leaves.
15 minutes of cooking
Once all the prep work is done, the cooking time for this delicious Thai yellow curry garbanzo dish should take no more than 15 minutes. Start by heating some oil on medium high and sauté onion until translucent. Next, add curry paste and tomato, follow with garbanzo and coconut milk. Finally, season with fish sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Just stir and keep on cooking until the sauce looks thick to your liking. Turn off the heat, then toss in kaffir lime leaves and cilantro leaves. Transfer to serving plate and serve with steamed white rice, or flat bread of your choice like naan.
Thai Yellow Curry Garbanzo
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoon Thai yellow curry paste
- 3 small (or 2 medium) tomato, cut into wedges
- 2 can garbanzo (each 15.5 oz), drained
- 1 can coconut milk (13.66 oz)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar (light/dark), or palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- a handful of fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sauté onion until translucent, then add Thai yellow curry paste, tomato wedges, and garbanzo. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Mix well, and cook until boiling.
- Continue cooking until the sauce is slightly reduced. Stop cooking when you like the thickness of the sauce.
- Turn off heat, toss in the kaffir lime leaves and fresh cilantro leaves. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with steamed white rice.