Shrimps never fail to impress, and they are really quick to cook, a perfect dish to master if you need to entertain guests and running short on time :) I think whole shrimps, with heads and tails intact (already deveined of course) looks the best presentation wise, so that’s how I choose to prepare my shrimps for this dish. But don’t be afraid to just remove the heads, shells, and even the tails of the shrimps since it does make eating those shrimps easier. ;)
Udang Tumis Pedas - Spicy Shrimp Stirfry
- 350 gram shrimps, deveined, but leave the heads and tails intact
- juice of 1 lime (Indonesian: air jeruk nipis)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 4 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), minced
- 6 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), minced
- 2 red cayenne chili peppers (Indonesian: cabe keriting merah), thinly sliced
- 6 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk), thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (Indonesian: bubuk lada)
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (Indonesian: daun ketumbar), roughly chopped
- Marinate shrimps in lime juice and salt for 15 minutes. Wash and drain. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté shallots, garlic, chilies, and kaffir lime leaves until fragrant.
- Add soy sauce, sugar, and ground pepper. Mix well and cook until boiling.
- Toss in the shrimps and cook until no longer pink.
- Turn off heat, add coriander leaves and toss quickly. Transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately.