After posting a recipe for ginger and kaempferia galanga dipping sauce, I couldn’t resist not posting a recipe for 白切雞, or white cut chicken. This is one of the simplest way to cook a chicken, a pot of boiling water, some scallion and ginger, and a sesame oil and salt rub, that’s it. You start by cleaning the chicken, then stuff scallion and ginger in the chicken cavity. Boil a pot of water, then simmer the chicken until fully cooked. Drain the chicken, and brush it with a mixture of sesame oil and salt. That’s it, then you just need to let the chicken cool slightly before carving it up.
White cut chicken is tender and delicious, but quite bland as is. That is why it is always served with a dipping sauce. I highly recommend either ginger and kaempferia galanga dipping sauce, or garlic and chili sweet sauce, both goes really well with the chicken.
白切雞 - White Cut Chicken
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
- 1 whole chicken, about 1 1/2 kilogram
- 2 scallions
- 2 inch ginger, peeled and bruised
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Suggested dipping sauce
- ginger and kaempferia galanga dipping sauce
- garlic and chili sweet sauce
- Stuff scallions and ginger inside the chicken cavity.
- Boil a pot of water and gently lower the chicken into the pot, breast side down. Once the water boils again, reduce heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn the chicken so the breast side is now up, then cover again, and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and let the chicken soak in the hot water for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, then brush the entire chicken with a mixture of sesame oil and salt. Let it cool to room temperature then carve the chicken. Serve with some dipping sauce of your choice.