Learn how to prepare delicious and healthy Chinese bean curd and shiitake pork ribs soup using pork ribs, shiitake, bean curd, and jujube/red dates.
Many of Chinese soups that my Mom regularly have in her rotation are very simple, and this bean curd and shiitake pork ribs soup is one such example. Despite its simplicity, this soup is delicious and is also healthy thanks to the inclusion of bean curd, shiitake mushrooms, and jujube/Chinese red dates. Best of all, this is another soup that you can just dump and simmer away, which is ridiculously easy to prepare on busy days.
What you need to prepare Chinese bean curd and shiitake pork ribs soup
The only meat you need is some pork ribs, and you can choose to use boneless pork ribs, or the one with bones attached. Both types will work, but the one with porks will usually give a richer soup, while using boneless pork ribs will give you a lighter version, so choose accordingly.
As for the Chinese herbs, you will need the following ingredients:
All three ingredients should be easily available in any Chinese grocery stores. You can always get them from Amazon following my links, though the prices are usually cheaper in a brick and mortar shop.
Start soaking the dried ingredients ahead of cooking time
Since we are using many dried ingredients, I usually start the prep work the night before I plan to cook the soup. I place each of the dried ingredients in separate bowls and pour enough cold water to submerge them by one inch and leave them to soak overnight. They should all be rehydrated and ready to use the next day. Also, remember to save the shiitake soaking water, you can strain the soaking water to remove impurities and use it as part of the 2 liters of water that you need for the soup for a boost in umami. It’s free anyway. Those are all my pointers to help you with preparing this soup. I hope you will like it as much as I do. :)
Bean Curd and Shiitake Pork Ribs Soup
- 3 dried bean curd sticks
- 4-8 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 12 dried jujube/Chinese red dates (Chinese: hong zao)
- 500 gram pork ribs
- 2 liter water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Soak dried bean curd sticks, dried shiitake mushrooms, and dried jujube/Chinese red dates in separate bowls overnight. Tear bean curd sticks into 1 inch sections. Strain the shiitake soaking water and add enough water to make for 2 liter. Cut each shiitake into 4 wedges.
- Place pork ribs and the 2 liter water in a soup pot and let it boil for 15 minutes. Ladle off the scum to get a clear soup.
- Add bean curd, shiitake, jujube/red dates, and salt and bring to another boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until all the ingredients are tender and fully cooked.
- Turn off heat and serve immediately.