I have been saving the recipe for nasi uduk for some sort of celebration, and this being my 100th recipe (yay!) is a valid cause to celebrate, no? ♥ Nasi uduk is made from rice (especially jasmine rice) cooked in coconut milk and multitude of spices resulting in a super fragrant and flavorful rice.
Nasi uduk can be served as breakfast, with a simple side dish of telur dadar gulung (rolled fried egg). It can also be served as lunch/dinner, typically with ayam ungkep (fried chicken), fried tempeh, fried tofu, and sambal terasi (shrimp paste chili sauce) on top of the egg.
Method of cooking nasi uduk
Back in the days, cooking nasi uduk is just downright complicated. The rice needs to be half cooked in a pot on a stove, and then transfer to a steamer to finish the cooking process. My Mom still use that method to make her nasi uduk.
But a rice cooker and call it a day. Personally, I cannot perceive any difference in quality, but if you are a stickler to tradition, there are many nasi uduk recipes out there that still use the cook and steam method.
Nasi Uduk Betawi - Jakarta Fragrant Coconut Rice
5.0 from 6 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Categories: One Dish Meal
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
- 2 cup rice (use the cup that comes with the rice cooker)
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk (regular US cup)
- 2 1/2 cup water (regular US cup)
- 2 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 2 fresh/frozen pandan leaves, washed and knotted
- 4 Indonesian bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 thin slices of ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 2 thin slices of galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (Indonesian: bubuk ketumbar)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients in a rice cooker pot and cook until ready.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before opening the lid.
- Remove the lemongrass, pandan, Indonesian bay leaves, ginger, and galangal. Stir with the rice cooker paddle.
- It is traditional to shape the rice with a cone mold (I just use a banana leaf and make it into a cone), but you can also just use a rice bowl to shape.
- Serve with ayam ungkep (fried chicken), tempeh goreng lengkuas (fried tempeh in galangal sauce), and telur dadar gulung (rolled fried egg).